- LEADER IN MOBILE PLANT, EQUIPMENT, AND MACHINERY INSURANCE
- AUSTRALIA'S LEADING MARINE INSURANCE SPECIALIST
- Australia’s Transport & Logistics Specialists
Industry Update: Everything vessels, vehicles, and gear
As the Australian specialist, NTI is giving you fortnightly updates on everything to do with Transport, Marine and Cargo, and Construction and Equipment.
In this edition we outline:
- Requirements for transport operators under Stage 4 lockdown in Victoria;
- The impact of COVID-19 on Australian chilled and frozen meat exports;
- New details on the 2021 Brisbane Truck Show;
- The Federal Government’s expansion of the JobTrainer program to keep apprentices in work;
- New research on Australian online shopping behaviours during COVID-19;
- A $126 million boost to rail freight for regional Victoria;
- New resources on staff engagement and change management to help transport businesses during COVID-19.
- Trailer Magazine has put together an overview of everything transport operators need to know about Stage 4 safety plans and worker permits in Victoria. Every business that is able to stay open must have a Victorian COVID Safety Plan, and a completed copy of the plan must be carried by workers that travel on Victorian roads. Operators must also have a Permitted Worker Permit. Read more.
- With many transport businesses undergoing change due to COVID-19, NTI has released a series of blogs on the importance of company culture, staff engagement, and change management. Written by NTI’s Change and Culture Specialists, Kelly McLuckie and Jenni Ross-Janett, the blogs contain best practice knowledge in language for transport operators. Make sure to share them with your clients! Read more.
- The Heavy Vehicle Industry Australia (HVIA) has announced the Brisbane Truck Show – the largest automotive business event in the Southern Hemisphere – will return in 2021, running from Thursday, May 13 to Sunday, May 16. NTI is excited to step into the role of Platinum Partner, extending our long-standing partnership with the event. The event will also be supported by a national Heavy Vehicle Awareness Week celebrated across the country. Read more.
- The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR), the Australian Truck Association (ATA) and more industry groups have joined forces to encourage truck drivers to take a proactive stance on COVID-19 protection and prevention. The transport industry has been given exemptions to border closures and more to ensure goods and services are available across the country, but the joint statement encourages operators not to become complacent and to understand their responsibilities to reduce risk. Read more.
Marine and Cargo:
- The Victorian Government has announced a $126 million rail boost for regional Victoria as part of the economic response to the coronavirus crisis. An $83 million freight improvement package will focus on replacing sleepers, repairing ballasts and renewing level crossing equipment along almost 400 kilometres of critical freight-only rail lines. Read more.
- NTI has released a new blog outlining the impact COVID-19 is having on Australian chilled and frozen meat exports. Australia sends meat shipments to over 100 countries, including the USA, Japan, Korea, and China. NTI’s National Cargo Product Manager, Daniel Morrison, provides guidance on navigating the trade chain, risks, regulations, and the impacts of COVID-19. Read more.
- New research reveals that 46% of businesses believe it will take 12 months or more before supply chains return to pre-pandemic levels, and that the pandemic will lead to permanent changes in global supply chains. The Survey by the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply also found that business are looking to adapt to new ways of working, while managing various stages of lockdowns around the world. The survey was conducted in June amongst global supply chain managers. Read more.
- New research has revealed the top ten online shopping behaviours during COVID-19. A survey of 1002 Australian shoppers, commissioned by CouriersPlease, found that 65% of Aussies shopped online more than they normally do, and 65% will continue to do so even after restrictions have eased. Read more.
Construction and Equipment:
- The Federal Government has announced further financial support for business and individuals struggling from COVID-19 with its JobTrainer package. $1.5 billion will go towards expanding the wage incentive to help keep apprentices in work. This builds on the initial $1.3 billion package announced previously in March. Read more.
- NTI’s National Product Manager for Plant & Equipment, David Kidd, has shared his knowledge of dry hire arrangements to ensure insurance professionals and customers understand the insurance cover they need. The blog goes into detail on the key differences between standard dry hire, and extended dry hire. Read more.