Introducing new truck safety technology
Let’s face facts: driving is dangerous, and crashes are expensive. There are many reasons why installing safety technology in your fleet or upgrading your fleet to newer and safer models makes sense.
But ultimately, it comes down to your duty of care to provide a safe workplace.
Yet sometimes, drivers may resist the safety technologies that could save their lives. It’s easy to declare they’re stubborn and don’t want to change; however, businesses often introduce new technology without consultation or explanation. To deliver the promised safety improvements, you need to be confident drivers will understand and engage with the technology rather than working around it.
Having good technology and good driver relationships is often overlooked, yet it doesn’t have to be complicated or difficult. Make an effort to listen to their concerns and include them in your decision-making and rollout processes.
If you're a transport operator who is responsible for rolling out technology in your business, here are five suggestions to help you have better conversations with your team members about technology:
- Explain why you’re bringing in a new technology
- Demonstrate its benefits and advantages
- Listen to feedback and take action as needed
- Deploy the technology with instruction and training
- Share feedback with the team.
For a further breakdown of each of the above suggestion, read our downloadable guide below.
This article has been developed as part of NTI’s The Business of Safety series with the aim of helping transport and logistics businesses become safer and more sustainable. The Business of Safety is funded by the NHVR’s Heavy Vehicle Safety Initiative, supported by the Australian Government.
- Information in this document is general only. It does not take into account an individual’s personal or business circumstances. While all due care has been taken, it is not intended as legal, financial or business investment advice and should not be construed or relied upon as such. Before making a commitment you should consider seeking your own independent advice.
Want a copy you can download and keep?
Download a copy of the 'How to introduce new safety technology' guide below.